Saturday, January 16, 2010

As life continues...

I am happy to say that my time spent in Austin so far has been quite productive. I'm still a poor struggling artist, but I don't think you can be a true artist unless you start poor and struggling ;-). I have decided, therefore, to begin writing more often. I want to start portraying the mirror of the world through my own "rose-colored glasses."

I have begun a project writing haiku. Here are a few:

Manic night, breathe in
Colorful plumes ascending
From my cigarette.
____

Looming blimp of dreams,
When will you descend on me?
Sleep recoils, then flees.
____

Trust this fairytale:
A bloodied shoe does not fit
And princesses fade.


I have been writing these like mad and hope to make them a permanent form I can use in my poetry.

Here are some amazing albums I have been listening to:

Ke$ha's new album Animal is wonderfully dirty pop. There is a sense of "I know what I'm doing is wrong, but right now it doesn't matter." The hooks are instantly catchy and the beats are edgy while still being perfect in a club.

David Guetta's new album One Love is a monument in describing the sentiments so many people are feeling in these unstable days. His dark and gritty beats sound like bruises on the soul of the lyrics which are a welcome juxtaposition. The lyrics, in general, have an overarching sense of internal strength and hope that a lot of lyrics these days portray. They have a heartening but simultaneously an almost angry edge. Guetta's history as a DJ lead to some serious House influence which sometimes becomes tedious, though the minimalistic atmosphere it creates is nice enough.

Mike Posner is a new hip hop artist who has two fantastic mixtapes out. They used to be free on iTunes though I believe that has changed. The beats are well done and catchy while the lyrics are entertaining and some quite humorous. Some gems include a cover of Beyonce's Halo which is classic and Smoke and Drive. A must listen and an artist I will be anxiously awaiting a first album.


I love my wide range of passions and want to show that here. So moving before finishing up I want to list a couple of the books I have recently read and fell in love with.

Sum by David Eagleman is a book of very short stories dealing with different possibilities for the afterlife. Engaging, and ranging from depressing to hilarious, these stories are a very good read.

Book of my Nights by Li-Young Lee is, in my opinion, one of the most prolific poets of the 21st century. His poetry speaks to the mind of the insomniac as well as everyone who has ever questioned existence. His rapidly changing imagery requires slow study but creates such depth and beauty. Please read this poet.

Thats all for today. Thank you all and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment